Backup and Restore Android and iOS21st December 2018
Gone are the days when mobile phones were considered a luxury. They have now become a necessity for many people as a way of not only communicating with friends, family & colleagues but also a way to store important information such as contacts, emails and pictures. Therefore, more than ever, security of information is crucial to safeguard often irreplaceable information and memories. This is why we should all be ensuring that our phones are set to back up regularly.
Here’s a step by step guide for backing up and restoring the information on your Android or iOS device.
- Make sure your device is connected to Wi-Fi
- Tap Settings and look for Cloud & Accounts
- Tap Backup & Restore
- If not on already, toggle backup my data and make sure your Google account is linked within the Backup Account section.
Restoring your backup onto a new android device:
Simply follow the setup steps when you switch on your new phone and when prompted, enter your google account email address and password. You will then be presented with backup options to restore.
- Make sure your device is connected to Wi-Fi.
- Tap Settings, tap your name at the top of the settings list
- Tap iCloud then scroll down and tap iCloud backup
- If not already on, toggle backup my data
- Your phone will now automatically backup when simultaneously connected to Wi-Fi and plugged in to charge
- If you are ready to switch phones straight away then you can choose to Backup Now
Your iCloud account comes with 5GB of free storage. If you need more than 5GB, you can purchase additional storage from 79p per month for 50GB which will be billed monthly by Apple.
Restoring your backup onto a new iPhone:
Again, simply follow the setup steps where you will reach a screen providing the option to setup as a new device, restore from an iTunes backup or restore from an iCloud backup. In this instance choose to restore from an iCloud backup and you will be presented with backup options to restore.
If you are moving from Android to iPhone or vice versa, please contact your 8020 Account Manager who will be able to walk you through the process.